Fostering Student Development, Persistence and Success!
OFTC has professional staff members called “Retention Specialists” to help students navigate the college system, choose coherent programs of study and receive necessary support services. Retention Specialists works with faculty and students to increase student success and provide students with the support and skills needed to become successful college students.
Online Tools & Resources
- MyOFTC: Bookmark this page for quick links to and directions for BannerWeb, Student Email, OneDrive, Blackboard, XenDesktop, and student resources.
- Academic Calendar: This is the official calendar for the upcoming academic year at OFTC.
- Student Resources: Contact information for college and community resources to help with your education success and personal well-being.
What kind of help do retention specialists provide?
- Referrals for difficulty with class work
- Referrals for financial resources to help pay for college
- Talk with students about attendance issues and withdrawals
- Help students develop a Time Management Plan
- Help students develop an Academic Success Plan
- Help students use and understand DegreeWorks
TEAMS (TCSG’s Early Alert Management System) is a web-based early alert system designed to identify students who may be at risk. The goal of TEAMS is to identify at risk students early and provide resources so they have the opportunity to improve their academic performance and increase their chances of success.
At risk students include:
- Students not attending classes regularly
- Students not logging into online classes and submitting work regularly
- Students missing assignments, homework or tests
- Students struggling academically
- Students not prepared for class
- Students in danger of withdrawing from class
- Students encountering personal hardships that are beyond their control
- Students in need of academic and/or non-academic supportive resources
Degree Works is a degree-audit and academic advising software used by OFTC that will help students track their progress toward completing their program. This does not take the place of students meeting with their advisor. Students will still need to see their advisor during advanced registration to be advised, receive their alternate PIN and register for classes in the upcoming term.
You are encouraged to log into BannerWeb to access Degree Works and begin reviewing your audits.
Support with Student Groups
HYPE (Helping Young People Excel) is a mentoring program open to all students whose goal is to help build confidence to meet the new expectations and challenges of attending college. HYPE is specifically designed to develop social opportunities which provide support and attention from OFTC faculty, staff and students.
Genesis is a mentoring program which helps motivate, empower and encourage young men through mentoring. Genesis challenges African-American males to be positive decision makers, role models, and effective leaders within their community.
Do you need Retention Services?
We know life does not always go as planned, and we all need a little help from time to time. OFTC’s Retention Specialists are available to help students make the best decisions for reaching their educational goals.
Make an effort to talk with an OFTC Retention Specialist before withdrawing from classes, if you are struggling with your classes or if you just need a little encouragement. We are here to help!
For additional assistance, please contact your program advisor or contact OFTC’s Student Retention Specialists: