Taking Your First Online Class
Students taking online courses will use the Blackboard course management system at Oconee Fall Line Technical College (OFTC).
- Tour Blackboard
- Software and hardware requirements
- Search Current Online Courses through GVTC
- Bb Student Mobile App
On the First Day of Class
Please use the following instructions to access your course(s) on the first day of class.
- Login to Blackboard using the information below:
NOTE: If you have used Blackboard before and changed your password, you will use the password you created instead of the one below.
- Username: 17_student id number (example: 17_900089735)
Your student id begins with 900 and is found on your schedule or in BannerWeb.
- Password: 17_student id number
Please change your password once you have logged into the system successfully.
- Once you have successfully accessed your Blackboard student account, email your instructor(s) to let them know you have successfully accessed your account. If you do not communicate with your instructor during the first three days of class you will be counted as a “No Show”.
- Login to BannerWeb to add a valid email address.
If you need assistance, have your Student ID number and the Blackboard course CRN number available and contact Sherry Yearty at firstname.lastname@example.org and 478-274-7648.
OFTC uses Blackboard through Georgia Virtual Technical Connection (GVTC) for web-based, hybrid and online courses. See requirements on using and logging into Blackboard on OFTC’s Online Orientation page.
On-Campus OR Proctored Test Requirements
OFTC online courses require at least one proctored event.
Students are responsible for scheduling a time to complete a supervised test at an approved testing center and/or with an approved proctor for certain graded activities. It is a good idea to make arrangements for a proctor as soon as the date of the proctored activity is known.
OFTC online students may register for proctoring through the OFTC website. Students must register at least 48 hours in advance of their desired appointment time; failure to allow a 48-hour notification may result in the student receiving an incomplete grade or a failing grade for the exam and/or course. Students must present a photo ID at each appointment. Students in online classes who do not complete the proctored event will receive an “F” for the course.
New Student Orientation
Students can choose to view OFTC’s online orientation or attend in-person orientation session held at each campus, each term. Dates and times are advertised every semester.
The purpose of the orientation is to familiarize new students with the College, its policies and procedures, state and federal rules and regulations, safety, work ethics, and other issues of importance to the students’ general welfare while attending classes at Oconee Fall Line Technical College. Students are given information needed to access the Student Handbook and other documents that contain all the rules, regulations, and general information with which students should become familiar.
Tips For Online Success
- Identify any weak areas in the skills you need to be a successful online student. Complete the self-assessment / SmarterMeasure.
- Communication is the key to success in an online environment. Maintain communication with your instructor throughout the term.
- If you are having difficulties in your courses, DO NOT WAIT to get help. Contact your instructor and access OFTC’s free tutoring services: OFTC Faculty Tutoring and Online Tutoring
- Before classes begin, take the Blackboard Tour to familiarize yourself with Blackboard.
- Be self-disciplined and self-motivated.
- Participate in all online discussions, chats, and emails.
- Log into your courses 3-4 times per week.
- Expect technical problems, so complete and submit work early.
- Dedicate at least the number of contact hours for the course being taken to working on the course in Blackboard and in accompanying web-based applications.
- Check your OFTC student email several times each week.
If you are having problems accessing your Blackboard courses, contact your instructor or OFTC’s GVTC Coordinator Sherry Yearty at email@example.com and 478-274-7648. Please leave a message if you need to do so. Remember to include your student ID and the course CRN number.