OFTC Peer Mentors
The goal of OFTC’s Peer Mentor Program is to give students an enhanced college experience and provide academic and social support. Peer Mentors will help students in their transition to the college environment and navigate their programs of study. The program identifies student needs, provides referrals to available support services, and facilitates mentor-mentee relationships through regular communication.
Peer Mentor Job Description
Peer Mentors are student representatives of OFTC who provide support and leadership to first-year students. Peer Mentors will serve as knowledgeable guides to connect first-year students with the campus resources they need for academic success and personal development.
Benefits & Expectations
- Referrals to academic and social resources on campus
- Enhancement of academic success skills
- Assistance with course selection, exploration of majors, etc.
- Assistance with the academic and social transition to college life
- Discuss, set, and work towards accomplishing college and life goals
- Meet consistently with your mentor both one-on-one and in a group setting
- Maintain professional integrity, privacy, respect, and sensitivity in mentoring
- Be in good standing with the college and free of any Banner holds
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.7 and work ethics grade of 2 or higher in all courses
- Completion of 2 or more semesters
- Enrolled at least part-time
- Be willing to provide a 2-semester commitment
- Possess strong communication skills, a positive outlook, patience and the ability to work independently
- Knowledgeable about OFTC and its services
- Communicate regularly with peer mentor and meet twice per semester in person or through a virtual platform
- Attend peer mentor training as needed
For more information, contact:
Student Affairs Director