Documents Required

If additional documentation is required to complete your financial aid file, use the links below to find the information or forms you need.


Verification is a process used to verify that information reported on the FAFSA is accurate. Students may be selected either by the Department of Education or by the school.
Some of the main reasons for being chosen for verification are:

  • Application is randomly selected.
  • FAFSA has incomplete data.
  • Data on the FAFSA appears to contradict itself.
  • FAFSA application has estimated information on it.

The Financial Aid Office will review your FAFSA application. Once it is determined what documents and forms are needed, the Financial Aid Office will send a letter requesting certain documents and forms. Some documents and forms that may be requested are:

  • Dependent or Independent Verification Worksheet
  • IRS Tax Return Transcript – If you use the IRS Data Retrieval option when completing the FAFSA and make no changes to the tax information, a tax transcript will not be required.
  • Marriage License
  • Social Security/Disability Benefit Statement
  • Child Support Received or Paid Information
  • Alien Registration Card
  • Final Divorce Decree
  • Other forms and documents

The types of documents required will vary from student to student. Not all students selected for verification will have to submit the same documents.

Once all documents are received, the Financial Aid Office will compare the required documents to the FAFSA. If errors are found, corrections will be made. Once the verification process is complete, an award letter will be sent to the student notifying them of the type of financial aid they are eligible to receive. Financial Aid cannot be disbursed until the verification process is complete.

Below is a list of documents or forms that may be required for the student to submit to the Financial Aid Office for Verification.

Documents Required for 2019 – 2020 Aid Year

How to determine which verification worksheet to complete?

If a student can answer yes to at least one of the following questions, that student needs to complete the Independent worksheet listed above. The Department of Education requires verification of the members in your household.

  1. Were you born before January 1, 1995?
  2. Are you working on a masters or doctorate program?
  3. Are you married?
  4. Do you have children that you financially support?
  5. Do you have dependents other than your children or spouse that you provide more than 50% of their support?
  6. Are you an orphan or ward of the court?
  7. Are you a veteran of the U.S. armed forces?

If a student cannot answer yes to at least one of the questions listed above, that student needs to complete the Dependent worksheet listed above.

Professional Judgement Appeal

Professional judgment is the ability of a financial aid administrator to recalculate the student’s financial aid eligibility due to special or unusual circumstances. The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) only requests certain information, which may not show the student’s/parents entire financial situation. The financial aid administrator, under federal law, has the authority to take these special or unusual circumstances into consideration and make changes to the student’s financial aid application.

Special circumstances are situations that may occur that are not addressed in the application process. Some common special circumstances that may occur are:

  • Separation from employment due to layoff, termination or disability
  • Excessive non-reimbursed medical and/or dental expenses
  • Reduction of untaxed income source such as child support, disability benefits, etc.
  • Separation or divorce which occurred after applying for financial aid
  • Death of parent or spouse which occurred after applying for financial aid

In order to start the Professional Judgment process, a request must come from the student. Once the student has requested that Professional Judgment be performed, the student is given an OFTC Professional Judgment Appeal Form. This form has instructions and a list of documents that must be presented to the Financial Aid Office before the Professional Judgment Appeal can be completed.

The student must complete and submit the FAFSA, the Verification Worksheet, tax transcripts for student and parents (if dependent), Professional Judgment Appeal Form, and documents that support the appeal. On the Professional Judgment Appeal Form, the student must provide income earned from different sources up till then and project total income for the entire year.

Verification will first be performed on the application. If needed, corrections may be made to the application. Once the correction has come back from the Department of Education, the Financial Aid Administrator will review the supportive documents. The Financial Aid Administrator will make any necessary adjustments to the application using the information provided by the student. All documentation will be taken into consideration.

Once adjustments are made to the application the Financial Aid Administrator will make the final decision. The decision is final and cannot be appealed.

Social Security Card

The Department of Education could not confirm your social security number with your name or date of birth. Submit your card to the Financial Aid Office. If you have lost your card, visit the Social Security Administration website.

For more information about what you need to do to get a replacement card and where to send your completed Application for a Social Security Card (SS-5), see Documents You Need for a Social Security Card.

Once you receive your new or replacement social security card, submit to the Oconee Fall Line Technical College Financial Aid Office as soon as possible.

Selective Service

The Department of Education could not confirm that you registered with selective service.

Register online at the Selective Service web site and/or come into the Financial Aid Office for assistance with the registering process.

If you are not registered and over the age of 25 you must:

  • Contact the Selective Service at 847-688-6888 to request a Status Information Letter addressing failure to register.
  • Submit written statement explaining the situation & the Status Information Letter to OFTC’s Financial Aid Office. The student should provide a description of his situation: where he was living from the age of 18 – 25 when he should have registered, whether he was incarcerated or institutionalized, and his citizenship status during the period. Those having served in the military under a condition other than dishonorable must submit DD 214 Form, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty.

The Financial Aid Director will review the documentation. To receive aid, such students must demonstrate that they did not knowingly and willfully fail to register.

Proof of Citizenship or Eligible Non Citizen

The Department of Education could not confirm citizenship status. To qualify for student financial aid, proof of citizenship or eligible non-citizen status is required. According to the federal regulations mandated by the U. S. Department of Education and state regulations mandated by Georgia Student Finance Commission the following documentation is acceptable proof of citizenship or eligible non-citizen for educational purposes.

You must submit one of the following documents to OFTC’s Financial Aid Office for consideration:

  • Birth Certificate listing American citizenship
  • An Alien Registration Receipt Card, also called an I-151 or an I-551 form
  • A conditional permanent Resident Form, also called an I-151C form
  • An eligible non-citizen documentation form with an Arrival-Departure Record, such as the I-94 form from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service showing any one of the following designations: a) Refugee, b) Asylum Granted, c) Indefinite Parole and/or Humanitarian Parole, or d) Cuban-Haitian Entrant.
  • Students who only have F1 or F2 student visa, J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa or G series visa are not considered eligible non-citizens for financial aid purposes.

Question 23 Drug Worksheet

You listed that you had been convicted of a drug related crime. You need to complete the following worksheet in order for the Financial Aid Office to determine your eligibility.

Default Notice

OFTC’s Financial Aid Office has been notified that the current status of your previous student loan(s) is DEFAULT.

Student Loans

Check the status of your student loans at the National Student Loan Data System.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal

Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale that includes all credit courses appearing on the academic transcript. If a student’s cumulative GPA falls below the minimum, his/her financial aid is subject to Financial Aid suspension. Also, the Department of Education requires that students complete 67% of all attempted classes.

Students will be placed on FA warning the term after failing either criteria. If the student does not meet financial aid standards during the warning term, he/she will be placed on suspension.

Students have the right to appeal a finding that they are not making satisfactory progress if they feel that there are extenuating circumstances which have prevented them from meeting the specified requirements. Any student on suspension may file an appeal with the Financial Aid Appeals Committee. Appeals for Satisfactory Academic Progress must be based on specific extenuating circumstances. Documentation supporting the extenuating circumstance must be submitted with the appeal. If the appeal is granted, the student will be placed on Financial Aid Warning and/or given an academic plan to ensure success for the following and subsequent terms. If a student is given an academic plan, it is the student’s responsibility to check on status by contacting the Financial Aid Office after grades are posted each term. The deadline for submitting an appeal is 10 days from the date the student was notified of suspension. Appeal forms may be acquired a the Financial Aid office.