Finding Project Ideas
One of the most important considerations in picking a topic for your science fair project is to find a subject that you consider interesting. You’ll be spending a lot of time on it, so you don’t want your science fair project to be about something that is boring.
We know that finding a topic is the hardest part of a science fair project, and sometimes you just need a little help focusing on what sorts of topics would be of interest to you. To help you find a science fair project idea that interests you, browse through the link below or search the web.
- Society for Science & the Public (SSP) offers resources to aid in the support of independent student research. They are provided to help students get started with a science fair project and suggest opportunities to further enhance science education.
What Makes a Good Science Fair Project Question?
For a good Science Fair project question, you should answer “Yes” to every question below:
- Is the topic interesting enough to read about, then work on for the next couple months?
- Can you find at least 3 sources of written information on the subject?
- Can you measure changes to the important factors (variables) using a number that represents a quantity such as a count, percentage, length, width, weight, voltage, velocity, energy, time, etc.?
- Or, just as good, are you measuring a factor (variable) that is simply present or not present? For example,
- Lights ON in one trial, then lights OFF in another trial,
- USE fertilizer in one trial, then DON’T USE fertilizer in another trial.
- Can you design a “fair test” to answer your question? In other words, can you change only one factor (variable) at a time, and control other factors that might influence your experiment, so that they do not interfere?
- Is your experiment safe to perform?
- Do you have all the materials and equipment you need for your science fair project, or will you be able to obtain them quickly and at a very low cost?
- Do you have enough time to do your experiment more than once before the science fair?
- Does your science fair project meet all the rules and requirements for your science fair?
- Have you checked to see if your science fair project will require SRC (Scientific Review Committee) approval?
- Have you avoided the bad science fair project topic areas listed in the table above?